Information Oughterard Ireland
Oughterard (Irish: Uachtar Ard, which could be translated as high height) is a hamlet located on the Owenriff River near the south shore of Lough Corrib in County Galway. It is the main centre for fishing on Lough Corrib. Its population is less than 3,500. It is found along the N59 road, 25 kilometres northwest of Galway City. Oughterard railway station was operational between 1895 and 1935. Today, the town is served by buses to and from the towns of Galway and Clifden. Sunday service during the winter months is limited to one bus a day to Galway. Outside the town is Ross Castle. A fifteenth century structure was built by the O’Flahertys, who reigned in the west Connaught region at the time, but the mansion that stands on the site today was built by the Martin Family two hundred years later. A short distance to the south east of Oughterard stands Aughnanure Castle, built by the O’Flaherty clan. The sixteenth century structure was built on the site of a thirteenth century Norman precursor. Strategically placed on the River Drimmeen within fine view of Lough Corrib, the castle has a natural rock bridge that grants access to the tower house and inner bawn. It is six storeys tall. It didn’t remain under the ownership of the O’Flaherty family for long: Sir Edward Fitton captured it in 1572. Its strategic significance was highlighted in the Cromwellian forces’ blockade of Galway before it was granted to the Earl of Clanrickard. The O’Flaherty chiefs remained in residence for much of its history, however, and a member of the clan planted yew trees around the fortress in the nineteenth century – the Gaelic name of the castle is “the field of the yews”. The Quiet Man Bridge is located along the Sky Road. It was partly the setting for the film “The Quiet Man” starring John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara. The film is still a tourist draw in the area, with other locations in Ireland such as Ashford Castle also an attraction.
Attractions Oughterard Ireland
Amedieval town situated 23km from Galway City is steeped in history. Founded in the 13th century by Meiler de Birmingham, who surrounded the town with a curtain wall with towers and a moat. It is the only walled town in Ireland whose still-intact walls are clearly visible to the approaching visitor
Athenry Castle - Athenry
Athenry is one of the most notable medieval walled towns surviving in Ireland, owing its foundation to Meiler de Bermingham who built his Castle there c.1250. The great three-storey tower, surrounded by defensive walls, is entered at first-floor level through an unusual decorated doorway. Recently re-roofed, the interior contains an audio visual room and exhibition.
Aughnanure Castle Galway - Oughterard
Built by the O'Flahertys c. 1500, Aughnanure Castle lies in picturesque surroundings close to the shores of Lough Corrib. Standing on what is virtually a rocky island, the Castle is a particularly well-preserved example of an Irish tower house. In addition, visitors will find the remains of a banqueting hall, a watch tower, an unusual double bawn and bastions and a dry harbour.
Relive the bloodiest battle in Irish history fought in a small Connaught village. Move back in time and place to that fateful day in 1691 through an audio-visual show based on the moving account of Captain Walter Dalton who fought at the Battle of Aughrim.
Clifden in West Galway - Clifden
The location of the landing of the first Trans-Atlantic air crossing by Alcock and Brown. A very scenic part of Ireland.